In appreciation of our readers’ support for the KF’s activities, this issue of the KF Newsletter features a crossword puzzle. Readers can find clues for each word throughout the August issue of the newsletter. Prize winners from the July newsletter are listed below.
Special prizes will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to 10 people who send in the correct answers via email to email@example.com.
ㆍPlease don’t forget to include your name and cellphone number in your email.
ㆍWinners will be announced in the September Newsletter, along with the correct answers to this month’s puzzle.
ㆍPlease note that previous winners are not eligible for a second prize.
All answers should be written in Korean.
1. Wishing for the safety and peace of global citizens, the KF presents online performances through its “Virtual _ _ _” series under the slogan “Stay Joyful” from August to September. Fill in the blank.
2. The ASEAN Culture House’s “Easy Access ASEAN” series offer classes introducing the culinary cultures of the 10 ASEAN countries. In August, the classes will focus on dishes from Thailand, Vietnam, and _ _ _ _ _, whose capital is Kuala Lumpur. What is the name of this country?
5. In connection with the project mentioned in 2-Across, the ASEAN Culture House conducts classes called _ _ _ _ _ _ _ as part of its “Easy Access ASEAN” series. The classes will run until September on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. What is the name of these classes?
7. On July 20, the KF and a foreign embassy in Korea jointly launched KREAtive Perspectives, a contemporary photography exhibition at the KF Gallery. The exhibition aims to expand the scope of the _ _ _ _ _-Korea bilateral exchange in the field of visual arts and to broaden their cultural and artistic horizons. What is the name of this East European country?
9. This year’s winner of the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award (ALMA) is Baek Heena, a Korean children’s book author. The award, dubbed the Nobel Prize of children’s literature, was established by the government of Lindgren’s native country, _ _ _, in Northern Europe. What is the name of this country?
3. The book _ _ _ _ _ _ deals with competitions and conflicts in the 19th and 20th century, waged by the world’s two most powerful imperialist nations over nearly a hundred years. The book’s author is Peter Hopkirk. What is the Korean title of this book?
4. As discussed in the book in 3-Down, where did Britain and Russia engage in competitions and conflicts over regional hegemony? This region is the dry area in the center of the Eurasian continent. What is this region called? (_ _ _ _ _)
6. The August issue’s “Letter from a KF Visiting Professor” was written by a Korean visiting professor at the Faculty of Humanities of the University of _ _ _ in Portugal. Fill in the blank.
8. To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the KF is strengthening programs that are carried out without direct people-to-people contact. For instance, both the “KF Virtual Dialogue” and the “Korea-US Strategic Forum” were conducted in the form of online video conferences called _ _ _. This term is a portmanteau of the words “web” and “seminar.” What is this word?
Answers to the July 2020 Puzzle + Winners
Across: 1. 춘향가 2. 국민공공외교프로젝트 4. 풍화 6. 카자흐스탄 7. 파독전시관
Down: 2. 국가무형 3. 공공예술벽화 5. 아프리카 8. 남해독일 9. 시간의